Primary Years5 to 11 years old
“The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled”
The Primary Years section is the second stage in WINS’ educational path and it is the context in which the first formal bases of a child’s future growth and education are set.
At World International School of Torino, the Primary Years section welcomes children aged 5 to 11 and is organized by age-group over six grades:
Transition 5 to 6 years old
Grade 1 6 to 7 years old
Grade 2 7 to 8 years old
Grade 3 8 to 9 years old
Grade 4 9 to 10 years old
Grade 5 10 to 11 years old
WINS strives to provide the safest and most comfortable environment, helping every child feel at home and start to breath in the WINS core values:
- meeting people from other places and cultures
- appreciating the existence of different sets of values
- understanding the impact of their own actions and the importance of taking responsibility for them
- experiencing consistent moral and ethical standards in a school community
- understanding concepts such as accountability, respect and trust through daily activities
- developing self-awareness and emotional intelligence.
- learning what excellence is by experiencing it first-hand
- understanding its value in a playful and engaging manner.
- growing into « ambassadors of excellence »
- being prepared for the expected requirements of our future society
- dealing with innovation
- understanding the concept of future.
- nurturing their own passions, preferences and natural talents
- spreading an insatiable curiosity for learning
Inquiry-based teaching and learning
to promote critical thinking
Wide range of opportunities
to fulfill individual potential promoting the development of the 5 senses as means of learning
A multicultural and enriching environment
that promotes international mindedness
A coaching approach to learning
encouraging the development of personal responsibility
Digital Learning Experience
perfectly balanced with positive pedagogical best practices to ensure personalized learning pathways
The inter-disciplinary themes
The sense of self and others
The sense of place and time
The world around us
Sharing feelings and ideas
Our planet as a shared resource
People and communities
Language : English and Italian
Physical and health education
Foreign language : German or Spanish
Visual and performing arts
musica, arte, teatro, danza
The Primary Exhibition represents the climax of the transdisciplinary work done over the Primary Years. In Grade 5 children prepare a group project based on the common themes they have been developing over the last six years to show the school community how they have grown and developed as caring, reflective, forward-thinking individuals.
of the Primary Years
At WINS children spend their day in an
English-speaking environment so are exposed
to several hours of English language every day in diverse contexts.
WINS also has a mission of promoting the local
language and culture, so a daily Italian language
and culture period is included in the Primary Years’ schedule.
World International School of Torino is an International Baccalaureate® World School for the PYP (Primary Years Programme), the MYP (Middle Years Programme) and the DP (Diploma Programme).